Monday, August 16, 2010

How I learn changed

Learning is a “multifaceted process” that individuals typically take for granted until they experience a difficulty with a complex task (Learning Theories and instruction P.1). During last seven weeks I reflect on this multifaceted process with the point of views of different scholars. According to behaviorists learning takes place as a result of responding to stimuli. Here rewards and punishments and most influential and consequently the natural tendency of an adult or a child for learning are stimulated. Cognitive theorists define learning as processing of knowledge. Here, existing schemas and previous experiences facilitate learning. Constructivist theorists point out that learners construct their own knowledge and create his or her own meaning. Here teacher is expected to structure situations such that learners become actively involved with content through manipulation of materials and social interaction rather than delivering instructions. Social learning theorists focus on the influence of models and other environmental and personal factors on behaviors that facilitate learning.

Connectivism is the integration of principles explored by chaos, network, and complexity and self-organization theories. One aspects of connetivism is the use of a network with nodes and connections as a central metaphor for learning and here the modern technology can be used widely by referring resource material provided during last seven weeks, sharing views of my colleagues those who follow the certificate course in instructions design and following instructions given by my supervisor now I have a board understanding about learning. I began to think of “how I learn” not only in relation to learning theories but different learning styles followed by different learners. As an instructional designer it is essential and should be able to look at the learning content through the point of views of different learners in relation to the discipline and the learning environment that can be provided.

Reflecting on how I learned and how I learn changed it is possible to develop a set of learning instruction for a particulars group of learners so that those towards the desired learning objectives. To achieve learning objectives of the learners I also began to think how I incorporate available technologies to the planned learning environment. Further, I started to seek the assistance of modern technology for the process of learning. During last seven weeks, I understood the potential of modern technology especially in relation to computer assisted learning. Experiences I gained by attending a virtual classroom nourished my learning through different facets, expanded my views of online learning, and strengthened my capabilities of incorporating modern technology with learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment